"He who works on teeth"

NIHS offers motivated dental professionals an opportunity to improve the oral health of Nunavummiut and experience one of Canada's most unique cultures.

You will be working in a vast, unspoiled, and ancient land few others have visited. Every day you will be making a meaningful contribution to community health. Come for the adventure, challenge, and reward of working in some of the world’s most remote communities!

Providing Innovative Oral Health Solutions to Nunavut

NIHS is looking for motivated dentists, dental specialists, denturists, and dental assistants to provide care to the Kitikmeot, Kivalliq, and Qikiqtaaluk Regions of Nunavut.

NIHS offers the opportunity to work in 25 unique communities spread across a vast geographical area; from Kugluktuk, the westernmost community in Nunavut, to Grise Fiord, Canada’s most northerly community, and to Sanikiluaq, an island archipelago in southern Hudson Bay.
Trips are scheduled for a minimum of four weeks and may include travel to more than one community. Remuneration is fee-for-service and highly competitive. Established and semi-retired dentists enjoy the freedom and flexibility our program provides.

Which Communities Can I Visit?

NIHS provides dental services to all 25 communities in the Kitikmeot, Kivalliq, and Qikiqtaaluk Regions of Nunavut

Kitikmeot Region: Cambridge Bay, Gjoa Haven, Kugaaruk, Kugluktuk, and Taloyoak.

Kivalliq Region: Arviat, Baker Lake, Chesterfield Inlet, Coral Harbour, Naujaat, Rankin Inlet, Sanikiluaq, and Whale Cove.

Qikiqtaaluk Region: Arctic Bay, Clyde River, Grise Fiord, Igloolik, Kimmirut, Kinngait, Pangnirtung, Pond Inlet, Qikiqtarjuaq, Resolute Bay, Sanirajaq, and Iqaluit.

Where Are The Dental Offices?

The majority of the dental offices are located in the communities’ local Health Centre.

How Long Are The Trips?

NIHS requires a minimum four week commitment from general dentists and dental assistants. Requests for longer trips can easily be accommodated. Dental specialists are required for shorter (usually less than a week) trips.

How do I get there?

NIHS covers all airfare from your home city to Nunavut communities. We also cover all accommodation costs during your trip and provide a per diem to cover food expenses.

Can I bring my own dental assistant?

Yes, subject to approval by NIHS. Many providers travel with their own assistants.

How do I join?

Contact us here.



Contact Us
Nunavut Office
5-22 Arvinggak (4th) Street
Rankin Inlet, NU. X0C 0G0
Toronto Office
Daniel Sojat
Operations Manager
PO Box 20061 RPO Market
Toronto, ON. M5E 0B1
T 416.778.9982
F 416.778.0980
Lindsay Office
Mallory Falconer
Travel Coordinator
T 705.878.0308
F 705.878.0988
Winnipeg Office
David Williams
T 204.774.4400